Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Kate Bush - Deeper Understanding 2011



Hmmm...

I'm genuinely not sure how I feel about the 2011 version of Deeper Understanding. (To provide a bit of background, Kate Bush is re-releasing a few songs from her 1989-1993 period in the new compilation "Directors' Cut" which comes out in May. This is the first single.)

The subject of this song - computer addiction and social isolation - was incredibly prophetic when it was written, but doesn't seem so groundbreaking now.
The voice of the 'computer' is a bit off-putting, especially compared to the heavenly chorus in the 1989 version. But that's obviously quite intentional. I really like the long bluesy/jazzy section in this version in the last couple of minutes.

The video itself? Well I like that it has Robbie Coltrane and Noel Fielding in it. Kate always gets famous people in her videos, which gives me the impression she's BFFs with every celeb in Britain or something. The storyline and the way it is told is a bit cheesy but it gets the point across. Perhaps a little too obviously.

No comments:

Post a Comment