Osama bin Laden is dead.
The good news is this mass murderer is no longer at large. Today is a big, culture-changing day. But it is right to celebrate death? I am reflecting on what the Christian response to all this should be.
I was disturbed when I read this tweet by influential church leader Mark Driscoll:
Finished long day of gospel preaching to hear the glorious news that bin Laden is now dead, killed by CIA! Thank you soldiers who tracked him for a decade. Thank you Jesus for being His JUDGE
There is justice in Osama's downfall:
When the righteous prosper, the city rejoices; when the wicked perish, there are shouts of joy.While it is right and just that he died, I can't bring myself to celebrate the way that the people outside the white house and ground zero are. The news that a soul has gone to hell is not something to be glad about.
-Proverbs 11:10
For I take no pleasure in the death of anyone, declares the Sovereign LORD. Repent and live!The downfall of a wicked person is nothing compared to a wicked person turning around and giving their life to Christ. That is cause for celebration, not this! Osama was an evil man who committed atrocious acts, took the lives of many, severely damaged the lives of even more. He never knew God. He will spend eternity in hell. I'm not seeing anything happy in this story.
-Ezekiel 18:32
I'm not trying to preach anything other than my own (somewhat conflicted) opinion. I don't claim to understand what it would be like to have lost anyone because of terrorism. On September 11, 2001 I was a child, and maybe because of that I wasn't struck by the horror of terrorism and maybe I never earned the same anger that others have been feeling for the past 10 years. But where does righteous anger end and revenge begin? I feel it's not my place to be bloodthirsty. God is the one who delivers out judgement:
Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.I understand justice. Osama was given what he deserved.
-Romans 12:19
As for me, I am in Christ, which means I'll be spared from what I deserve. The death of someone who is not in Christ, who never repented of their evil, is a tragedy in my eyes. It just makes me remember how much the world needs Jesus, who conquers sin and death.
No comments:
Post a Comment